Wednesday, June 3, 2015

I am watching your back... correct your mistakes

Its amazing to have someone to watch your back. Just last week, I had put up a post on linkedin about applying analytics in HR. I included a popular quote (below) to start of the post.
Yesterday my mom called me up and told me to not use something like this might not be taken well in the culture that we live in. Of course, my mom doesn't go through linkedin, maybe my sister saw it and asked my mom to speak about it. On reflecting upon it, it was common sense. not as many people liked this post as my previous posts and not as many commented on it. This might have been popular in some countries, but not here (most of my contacts on linkedin are from India).

My mom told me that I should be careful and be thoughtful of what my thought process and not necessarily be swayed by what others are posting. Always think whether I would subscribe to an idea or phrase and consider it the best way to put across something. There is a reason why people choose to communicate in the society in a certain way. I need to always respect that. I think a simple advise that she might have given a lot of times, but since she gave it in real time in a given context, I should remember it better now. I think I could have kept the post up, but then I decided that since was not appreciated by the readers as much, so why not pull it down. Maybe I will try and reword it to make it consumable for a larger audience. will work on it, just like I keep saying about so so many things. 
But in all this, what I come to appreciate is the fact that I have someone to watch my back always. That is a great feeling to have. If I make any mistakes I have my parents and my sister to guide me, I really appreciate that. Thank God for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment