Saturday, March 5, 2016

Nourish your soul

It is so common for people to care about their bodies so much, but so less about the soul.
Think about body as only an enabler to nourish your soul. Ultimately, body will be burned, buried, disposed etc. but the soul probably lives on.
While, I know a healthy mind needs a healthy body, but I need to focus on physical health only to the extent that it impacts my mind. If I need my mind to be more active, I need to have a fitter body. And the more I push my mind the more I need to push my body and thus the more the need to be fit.

I know that success is when opportunity meets preparation. And time is what defines when what comes to us and there isn't much we can do about it, but I wonder if we should only focus on preparation. Yeah, the Bhagvad Gita says that keep working towards your work and don't worry too much about the outcome or the lager impact that it makes. We are but a cog in the wheel, so do your work effectively to keep the machine running.

But I think I should also work towards opening avenues to pave the way for the opportunity to find me. I shouldn't just focus on deepening my knowledge, I should also focus on application and spread of that knowledge. All my efforts should be balanced. I remember the jobs that I took, I wasnt give much of a transition and there were steep learning curves and I thought to myself that as I learn I should also ensure that I am documenting what I learn so that someone else doesn't end up in the same situation as I did. This is an approach that I should always take in every moment that I am living.

Another thing that comes to my mind is that how often we feel saddened with all the poverty and sufferings around us. Well, it exists to remind us there is so much to do in this world. So many scientific discoveries were made because we wanted to elevate our standards of living, we wanted to find solutions to problems that were limiting us from living a healthy and happy life. It's just like how trying to find answers to puzzling questions gives us a reason for living and channelizing our mental abilities towards finding solutions. We might have the abilities, but we don't focus on them because we don't have any motivation to accomplish anything. It's interesting to see how through out the history of civilizations, humans have been faced by one problem after another (diseases, natural calamities, mass destruction in wars for power and control etc.) and how as we have tried to find solution to one problem, another has emerged. This is what has made humans discover so much about the world and beyond. Thus, I think first step towards living a fulfilling life is to look at everything that you think is bad, as an opportunity for change rather than being depressed about it. As has been evident through the history of mankind, it is always been easier to change what is outside, but difficult to change what is within us. So always remember to nourish your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment